This stretch is a simple but very effective movement for creating mobility for the whole spine. It's called the Cat Stretch, but is also referred to as cat/cow or cat/camel. This information comes the Canadian Chiropractic Guideline Initiative in partnership with the Centre for Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation.
THE CAT STRETCH
1. Start on hands and knees. Hands shoulder width and knees hip width apart.
2. Gently tuck your chin towards your chest and your tailbone toward your knees.
3. Arch your back up toward the ceiling.
4. Start to reverse the position but lifting your tailbone and chin (look straight ahead or lift your gaze slightly up). HINT: don't let your elbows bend!
5. Alternate through each position 10x. Repeat this exercise 5-10x/day.
Please note: If you can't get on the floor, you can do this on your bed.
Check back here tomorrow for Day 3 of exercises for low back pain and stiffness.